A lovely tongue in cheek article I stumble upon by Jessica Hagy.
I couldn’t resist, so here it is. inserted photographs from my own collection.
Still want to say sorry? Then just don’t say it in these 10 situations
“I’m so sorry, but—” is the introductory phrase of doom. Apologizing when you haven’t made any mistakes makes you look weak and easy to dismiss, not polite.
Jessica Hagy , Women@Forbes
1. Don’t apologize for taking up space.
You’re three-dimensional in many powerful ways.
2. Don’t apologize for not being omniscient.
If you really were psychic, you’d be out spending your lottery winnings already.
3. Don’t apologize for manifesting in a human form.
You require food, sleep, and you have regular biological functions. This is not being high-maintenance. This is being alive.
4. Don’t apologize for being intimidatingly talented.
Do you detect a wee bit (or a kilo-ton) of jealousy? Good. You’re doing something more than right.
5. Don’t apologize for not joining the cult du jour.
If you don’t believe in the life-changing magic of the brand synergy matrix (or whatever the slide-show is selling), you’re more aware than you realize.
6. Don’t apologize for being bound by the laws of time and space.
Need to be in three places at once? Actually, no, you don’t.
7. Don’t apologize for not assisting the more-than-able.
Get your own stupid coffee, Chad.
8. Don’t apologize for not being unimpressed by mediocrity.
Work that gets praised gets repeated. Stop clapping for things you don’t ever want to see again.
9. Don’t apologize for trusting your gut.
Don’t walk down the dark creepy alley or into that closed-door meeting with the predator, okay?
10. Don’t apologize for standing up for people you care about.
Because you’re tired of hearing them apologize for doing everything right.